Thursday

Thumbprint Cookies

This is a classic recipe for Christmas.  My oldest son asked me the other day, "Mom, are we ever going to make thumbprint cookies?"  A friend had delivered a tray of cookies to us that included, you guessed it, thumbprints.  I hadn't made them in years!  My youngest son (age nine) didn't even know what thumbprint cookies were.  Had it really been that long?  "Oh, they're fun to make.  You get to press your thumb into the dough and fill it with yummy stuff," I replied.

I especially enjoy popping these little gems into my mouth.  Maybe that's why I haven't made them in years!  So, out of my old and very disheveled recipe box I retrieved my mom's tried and true version of this timeless favorite.  Enjoy! 

Thumbprint Cookies

1/2 cup butter (softened)
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 eggs (separated)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Jelly (Try different jellies.  Grape jelly is good, but experiment.  We did a few with Polaner All-Fruit Black Cherry and they were delicious!  My nine-year-old used mini-chocolate chips and my teen used Nutella spread.  Please let me know if you try something and it turns out good.  I receive comments on my Adventures in Living blog, www.susanskitt.com and look forward to hearing from you.)
Optional:  1 cup finely chopped nuts -(I don't like nuts in cookies so I leave these out.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix thoroughly softened butter, shortening, egg YOLKS, sugar, & vanilla.

Work in flour and salt until dough holds together.  Shape dough by teaspoon fulls into 1 inch balls.  If needed, refrigerate the dough for about 20 minutes or so it is not sticky and easy to roll.


If using nuts, you will use the egg whites. Beat egg whites slightly - dip each ball into egg whites and roll in nuts.


Place on ungreased cookie baking sheet.  Press thumb deeply into center, making a dip in the dough, however don't press all the way through to the cookie tray.  Fill with jelly & bake about 8-10 minutes or until light brown.

Credits:  Mom Zweitzig