Wednesday

Oatmeal Scotchies

This yummy butterscotch oatmeal cookie recipe is lifted straight off the back of a Nestle's butterscotch chip bag.  I can claim no fame to these cookies other than I make it according to directions.  People go bongo over these cookies.  This butterscotch oatmeal treat is a requested staple on the homefront when sending my husband and boys into the deep woods of Pennsylvania on their deer hunting trips.  I recently sent a batch off to my college son who is studying way up in Alaska and they were a hit in America's last great frontier.  I'm also making up a batch as a homemade Christmas gift for friends.  Since I'm not one to spend inordinate amounts of time in the kitchen, I make the bar version - a pan cookie.  Give it a try and you'll know why Oatmeal Scotchies are a hearty treat with no great feat!

1 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
3/4 c. granulated sugar
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. quick or old fashion oats (I use Quaker)
1 bag butterscotch Nestle morsels

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Combine:  flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in small bowl.  Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla in large bowl.  Gradually beat in flour mixture.  Stir in oats and morsels.  Drop by rounded teaspoon onto ungreased baking sheet.  Bake 7-8 minutes for chewy cookies or 9-10 minutes for crisp.  Cool on baking sheets 2 minutes and move to wire rack to cool.

Pan Cookie Version (This is how I do it):  Grease 15x10 inch jelly-roll pan.  Prepare dough as above.  Spread into pan.  Bake 18-22 minutes or until light golden brown.  Cool completely on wire rack.  Cut into bars.